Friday, November 15, 2013

Black Beauty...Bean, that is!

Maybe it's my Tampa/Cuban influence. Maybe it's the filling protein packed flavor. Maybe it's because it's low calorie and super versatile...whatever the reason, I LOVE black beans!  Dry, canned, slow cooked, stove top sauteed, in burger form or even made into a new kind of bean dip...there are few foods that bring me right back to my childhood like black beans. My childhood babysitter Marta made them at least twice a week...with white rice and palomia steak. My Cuban friends growing up always had black beans on the stove with onions and sofrito. My dad learned to make them too and turned canned black beans into magic with yellow rice.  When I went vegetarian, I ate them several times a week to get my dose of protein and flavor.
This week the black bean was a star in my kitchen with 2 incredible, healthy recipes perfect for heating up my belly as the temperatures cool down.

The first is a single serve black bean chicken chili that can easily be made into a whole pot of awesome!  My recipe measurements are for the single serve and total calories for this big comfy bowl is a stunning 420 calories!

*1 link of chicken sausage with cheddar and jalapeno (I squeezed it out of the casing and ground it up in a small pot) 
*1/2 a cup organic canned black beans with some of the juice
*2 tbsp low fat sour cream
*1/4 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
*2 tbsp salsa
*1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
*1 tbsp chili powder
*1 tsp each of adobo powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (less if ya don't want it super spicy)

Brown the sausage in a pot, once cooked add the black beans, salsa and seasonings. Add cabbage and let simmer on med for 5 minutes. Add half your cheese and half your sour cream. Mix and cook an additional 5 minutes until it gets creamy and gooey. Slop in your bowl and garnish with the rest of your cheese and sour cream and ENJOY!

Next we have a breakfast/ brunch that is LOADED with protein.  I like this for after a hike or after the gym, but lets face it...brunch is good anytime!  I call it Black-n-White Hash and this serving has 395 calories and is  a satisfying, if not generous portion! It's also pretty- which is one of my favorite things since we tend to eat with our eyes first!

* 3/4 cup Ore-Ida frozen potatoes O'Brien (potato cubes with onion and peppers)
*3 large egg whites and 1 large egg
*1/2 cup organic raw spinach 
*1/4 cup canned black beans drained
*2 oz simple-truth black forest ham diced
*2 tbsp salsa
*1/4 fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
*2 tbsp low fat sour cream
*1 tsp garlic salt
*1 tsp black pepper

In large skillet cook potatoes as directed after a quick spray of Pam. Add spinach, beans and ham once the potatoes start to soften and brown. Let all cook down until potatoes are fully cooked and remove from heat. In separate pan, Scramble egg whites and egg and add spinach and salsa with spices. Once eggs are scrambled, fold in hash mix and add half the cheese.  Plate up and garnish with the rest of your cheese and the sour cream. DIG IN!

Please enjoy the beauty that is the black bean!  It really is a lifesaver for someone trying to stay full and watch their waistline.  Stay tuned for an upcoming tribute to my other favorite bean...the Garbanzo! Coming soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment