Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Totally Engaged!

Forgive me for being "that girl" but I am still just over the moon about my recent engagement! My mind and heart and thoughts and discussions all seem to come back to this very special time and planning the most special day. If I wasn't me...I'd be totally annoyed with me!
John has always given me reasons to shout from rooftops, mountains or anything else...high. Because he just makes me so incredibly happy!  The last 4 1/2 years have provided me with so much growth, adventure, laughter, love, respect and friendship. I don't think my silly little words can come close to describing the love, joy and passion I have for this man every single day.
courtesy of Lola Bird Photography
As we get closer to our wedding day, and I start thinking about writing vows- I have come to realize how difficult this really is.  I totally thought it would be easy and thoughtful to profess this unimaginable way I feel for my soon to be Husband. But that's just it...it's unimaginable. It's beyond words and feelings.  Something so real and true and deep, yet so hard to express in a way that does it justice. We decided together to make our vows funny, witty and totally us...but it deserves some loving, kind words that for whatever reason I can't pull together to make a sentence that matches how I feel inside. It seems so...not enough.



John is so far from typical. He is unlike anyone...ever...in the history of man...or ape. He is one of a kind. I doubt he has even thought about his vows or what he might say, or what songs might play at our wedding, or which shades of pink will stand out in pictures. He likely hasn't given a thought to cake toppers or gifts for his groomsmen. He keeps saying "Whatever you want"  (what girl wouldn't love THAT??!) But many times it's all in what he doesn't say...the way he put so much thought into the proposal and the ring. The way he knows I love poached eggs on Saturday mornings and has them ready when I wake up. The way he remembers what means most to me and makes it happen, the way he is never at a loss for words, but knows exactly when NOT to use them.  He smiles at me in a way that still gives me the shivers. He laughs at how I turn many conversations into song. He respects and encourages my need for a beef chimichanga once every other week. He made fun of my "old lady hands" for months, now I know it was him inspecting my fingers and trying to figure out my ring size. He pays attention to the little things so he can make moments and big things happen.  He supports my dreams and drives me to make them come true. He is unlike anyone...but he is my everything.


On Saturday, March 15th 2014 I get to marry my Viking. The day is shaping up to be better than my most amazing dreams. It's how my life has turned out. Better than I could have ever hoped for. Surrounded by the people who mean the most to us, we will pledge our love and commitment to one another. I guess it won't matter how my dress looks or how the tables are set up, if Harlow happens to piddle as she walks down the aisle or if it's a cloudy day. It won't matter if someone spills a drink or a toast gets way out of hand with the rowdy bunch of friends we have. I am so excited to have a marriage... more so than a wedding. The wedding is just the stage for our monologue into married life. I can't wait to be John's WIFE. I can't wait to call him my husband. Will we really change? Probably not. We will still be us as different as we are... and I am so excited for that. Don't get me wrong...I am stoked about my pink party garden style super fun-ville day that's approaching...I am just looking forward to the every day after that just as much.


Every day I also think about my parents. They are hosting this shin-dig at my family home in the backyard where my beloved and ever so missed Grumpa used to walk and "water the bushes" aka smoke his Winston Lights. Where Raggs... the meanest dog ever aka the love of my life would chase squirrels and run up and down the side of the fence barking with all 13 pounds of ferocious glory. Where he now rests under where my ficus tree used to grow that my favorite Aunt gave me when I was 5. The place is as important as the people we chose to share this day with. Rooted deep in my heart and my memories- this day is all about the love. My parents have given me so much to be thankful for and taught me the true meaning of appreciation. I am honored to have my Daddy walk me down the aisle and I plan to be prepared for the river of tears my Ma is bound to create. Everything about this day is about journeys, love and being thankful. Handpicking the most important people, places, words, songs, foods, moments, memories and more...I can't wait for this day.










1 comment: