Thursday, October 17, 2013

Calorie Careful Comfort Food

As the temperatures drop, my need for warm delicious cozy food skyrockets! While I am total sucker for classics like baked potato soup, mac and cheese and creamy tomato soup with ooey gooey grilled cheese- I am also still craving to be healthy and keep off the cold weather insulation aka weight gain.
Many times I get asked for recipes...the truth is I never really keep track.  For me, cooking is like painting...I just make it up as I go along and see what inspires me.  I keep track of calories, fat and nutritional value, but never really designed a recipe...until now. 
This week I paid attention! Kept track of ingredients and decided to share with you 3 of my most delectable, most healthy dishes of the week!  Not only are they healthy, low cal and insanely delicious...they are pretty too!  (Since we eat with our eyes first!)

Let's start with my Creamy Curried Chicken Tomato Soup
 
*This starts by baking some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Before baking, dust with garlic salt, pepper, paprika and curry powder.
*Next prepare some Campbell's Classic Tomato Soup with water- I use the healthy choice option with lower sodium
*To the soup, add a minced garlic clove, 2 cups of organic fresh spinach, 1tsp crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
*Once soup is heated and combined, lower temp to simmer and add 2tbls whipped low fat cream cheese and stir until well blended (Kroger offers a Greek yogurt cream cheese that I love!)
*When the chicken is done, shred or chunk and add to soup
*Let simmer for 5 minutes before serving with a dried basil sprinkle on top and a dash of hot sauce for a kick if you like!
TOTAL CALORIES FOR 1 1/2 CUPS SOUP W/4OZ OF CHICKEN: 279 CALORIES
 
 
 
Next- Chickpea Cheese Burger
 
 
This is a totally simple lunch or dinner idea with tons of flavor and protein!
*Toast a Thomas's English Muffin (Multi-Grain Triple Health)
*Heat a Morning Star Mediterranean Chick Pea Veggie Burger in the microwave
*Add 1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese to the burger in the last 30 seconds of heating
*When English muffin is finished toasting, take one wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb spread and spread over top and bottom
*Place burger on bottom and top with fresh organic spinach and arugula blend and sliced cucumbers
*Dash of Lawrys Garlic Salt
*1 tsp spicy mustard
*Top it, eat it, Love it!
TOTAL CALORIES WITH A 8OZ GLASS OF SPICY V8 ON THE SIDE : 345
 
Finally, the soup I have been eating on ALL week because it's just too good!! Spanish Bean Soup
 
This beauty takes some time and prep, but it's so worth it!  And there is enough to feed ya all week and make recreations!
While canned beans are faster and ok, I use dry beans and let them soak over night in a water bath.
*2 cups beans 1/2 garbanzo 1/2 black
*1 box of chicken stock (16oz)
*Combine in crock pot or slow cooker
*add 3 minced garlic cloves
*Add 1/4 cup sofrito (I used the Goya jar)
*2 tbls adobo powder
*3 cups spinach
*1 diced tomato
*3 red potatoes diced
*1tsp paprika
*salt and pepper to taste
*pinch of saffron
*1tsp cumin
Let her sit and simmer on low for at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally. Make sure beans are well cooked before serving.  The first night I ate it, I chopped some chicken sausage into it, the next day was as is after staying on warm in the crock pot overnight again and half the day. Today I am adding some yellow rice.  This can be altered and revamped every day and be just as delicious!
TOTAL CALORIES FOR 1 CUP ORIGINAL: 130
 
 
I promise to keep track of my cooking adventures if you promise to try them and let me know what you think! My goal is to prove that healthy and tasty came be one in the same.
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment