Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fall in Love with Walking off Fall

It took me a while to really fall in love with Colorado. We have been here nearly 2 years and while winters still make me crazy and clumsy...I really do love the Fall. It's utterly beautiful here with all the leaves changing colors, the cool breeze and the sound of the Aspen trees clicking. It's cool enough to break out the sweaters but warm enough to pair them with jeans and flip flops.

You may or may not know that I have lost a considerable amount of weight in the last few years. What you also may or may not know is that my workout of choice is simple, free, easy and effective...WALKING!  Fall is a great time to bust out the sneakers and sweats and go, well- anywhere!  Winter provides it's fair share of challenges here in Colorado, Summer gets sweltering and Spring is lovely until the rain comes.  While I find days in all seasons to just walk, Fall is consistent every single day.
I also love walking off the calories that seem to start to increase in the fall.  As soon as September rolls around, Starbucks decides to unleash the Pumpkin Spice Latte and tempt me at every corner. While I have found a nice alternative (venti fat free latte with one pump pumpkin and one pump sugar free vanilla with a shake or 2 of cinnamon) to cut the caloric massacre...It still adds calories not normally hanging around my midsection.  So what's a girl to do?  WALK to Starbucks and walk back to wherever you came from!  Or simply enjoy on your walk and take in the season.  For my Floridians...iced and pretend.
Then comes my birthday...end of September and it never fails!  Cake, candies, dinners and drinks...in particular, my beloved pumpkin beer!  It never ends!  And while I embrace getting older, I don't appreciate the repercussions of my eating and drinking habits and how it takes WAY more work these days to undo bad decisions. Walking every day before, during and after tends to fight off the battle of the bulge and reduce the side of guilt I have with every fork full of buttercream. Not to mention sunshine and good ol' vitamin D helps with hangovers...I promise!
Halloween doesn't get me like it used to...unless there are candy corn pumpkins and whoppers involved. Then I better walk extra long distances while enjoying them and watching the trick or treaters and visiting the neighborhood haunted houses. But remember it's only a day and walk without them after that night.
Let us not forget that fall means football!  Every Sunday the temptation of wings and beer consume me beyond control. Pizza makes an appearance in my imagination and chips and dip suddenly become like taste bud gold. A pint of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food is the perfect way to round out Sunday night and possibly a treat for Monday Night Football. I am beginning to understand why at one point I was 240lbs... Football doesn't start until 11am Sunday morning so walk on girl! Take a long walk or hike...get into the trees and admire the show mother nature is putting on! Enjoy the breeze and the sun before you enjoy watching athletes instead of being one.
Thanksgiving. Do we really need to go into all that Thanksgiving offers? The many temptations of this holiday are not to be ignored, but enjoyed. The holiday has become more about the food and eating than the real meaning...and it only comes once a year.  Enjoy. But then...take a walk!
Walking may seem to be way too easy...and there are faster ways to lose the weight...but if you are about enjoying life, like me...there is nothing more enjoyable than a good long walk. Add ankle or wrist weights if you choose. Go on a hike with hills...but be outside and enjoy what a simple walk has to offer. You'll also notice that it offers a little extra space in your Levi's too!  (As seen in some photos from the last few Falls below)




1 comment: