Monday, October 14, 2013

Gifts for Grandmas

I just started a project for John's MorMor and my Mamaw for Christmas presents. I realize it's not even Halloween yet, but handmade love-filled gifts do take time.  
I was taught to crochet a few years ago from a friend at work.  Her name was Brandy and she used to really love to crochet and was very good at it. She told me once she thought teaching people was a waste of time because they never really stick with it.  I kept my word and I continue to crochet even though I only know the one stitch she taught me! (Coasters and scarves for everyone!) I never pick up yarn and a needle without thinking of her. It's funny how people have an impact.  Draw a little picture in your memory that will always have them create a chapter in the story of your life.
Just like these wonderful women who have inspired this post and these gifts. 
Mamaw is my mothers mother. She is very sweet and I don't think I have ever heard her raise her voice. She makes incredible biscuits as any good Southern woman does..and she taught me when I was younger too. She collects pewter and loves shopping at the dollar store. She is getting older and losing her memory a little more every day.  It's a growing fear of mine that someday she won't remember me. I am so excited that we have decided to go visit her as part of our Honeymoon. She lives in an assisted living home and I'd love to see where she is spending her time. I am taken back to her old house when I was small.  She used to put snow in a jar so when we would go visit her in Tennessee she would have some for me.  She had grape vines in the back yard and me and my cousins would go play in between the leaves even though there were dangerous amounts of bees.  One time she saved us the honeycomb and I remember being so excited but not wanting to eat it because I thought it was the bees poo.  Lightning bugs used to sparkle outside the front yard and later on when I was in college, we would go to the Chinese buffet and walk down memory lane.  She is very special and my childhood had some very happy moments because of her.
MorMor and I couldn't really communicate because of the language barrier.  She also couldn't see me.  But we managed to be fond of one another and still find a way.  She wears a bright red sweater and her smile is contagious. Her eyes twinkle and she loves to boil potatoes for dinner. John told me she used to drive a small car like she stole it and work even in her older age at properties they had around Denmark.  She likes to gamble a little and was so tickled when we gave her ink pens with flowers on them so she could feel them when she needed a pen. She likes to talk on the phone and drink coffee. She also likes cookies before bed and will get out of bed for a Danish pastry similar to Kringle!
I am so happy to make them a special gift and remind them that I hope I make a memory for them that keeps them warm. The memories they have given me have warmed my heart and I cherish them always.

2 comments:

  1. I love the article. Mormor sounds like your grandma Rounds. By the way, all Danes love their pot of coffee or two each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stories and memories. I will read to Mamaw, but leave out the parts about coming to see her and Christmas gifts. Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete